Apart from the usual sense of admiration and a bit jealousy at Chariya's amazingly, incredibly excellent English skill when finished reading her blog, it got me inspired about the concept of being approached by people you don't know on the street and reminded me about something that had happened not long ago.
I was on my way home and was about to step down from Rod Song Taew when a guy followed me and tried to have a conversation with me. I was tired from school, my face was really oily from the hot weather which means I didn't look good at all, and obviously was in no mood to be approached. He introduced himself, told me he lived nearby and has seen me twice before, but couldn't "catch" me, and finally said he wanted to know me. He probably could sense the feeling of horror in my eyes and tried to calm me down by saying he just wanted to be my friend. To tell you the truth, I was scared shitless and was trying to find a way out of this. Thank God in the end he didn't follow me home. I got so freaked out after that and went to ask several friends what to do if it happened to me again and one of my friends said next time I should tell him "Sorry, but I'm not interested in guys. I prefer girls", which I personally thought it was the coolest answer EVER lol.
You see, this friend of mine had a far worse experience than mine. She was waiting for the bus in the afternoon (repeat: afternoon) when a Farang approached her, asked her name, and what music she was listening to. She thought it was pretty weird so she answered that her name was Mickey and was listening to Cambodian music (some made up shit). That farang was reluctant a bit then finally asked her "how much per night?". She wasn't sure if she heard it right so she said "Pardon?". He repeated the same question "I asked you how much per night if I want to sleep with you?". OH. MY. GOD. Of course my friend was...flabbergasted but recovered herself quickly enough to say "I'm not that kinda girl. Why don't you go f*** your mother?"
HA!
Seriously, I am aware of our country's reputation but puhhh-lezzzzz have some more sense, would you? Not every girl in our country is that kind of girl! Ugh!
Being approached by farang is quite normal in Bangkok these days. Usually with me, when starting some conversations for a bit, I often get a comment "Your English is good", which honestly I don't understand how you can judge a good English by being able to say "hi" and a few words in the conversation. We weren't discussing Plato here, ok? and then the following question would be "Where do you study English?". What did you expect me to answer then? Of course I study it in school! Where else would it be? Khaosan Rd. bars perhaps?
This one time a foreigner sitting beside me in BTS was writing lots of Thai words on his notebook repeatedly over and over again. I found this very admirable cuz I really think any foreigner who attempt to learn how to read and write Thai is just plain amazing. If I were them, I definitely wouldn't learn it lol. It's true that our grammar is very simple but before that you have to face with 44 alphabets, 21 vowels, and those 5 different sounds, which I think it would be a real pain in the ass for others!
Somehow BTS was an okay place to be approached but not for the bus! One time I was sitting besides an old man who was talking to himself and kept pointing at the politicians' faces on the sign of the street (it was during an election in Bangkok). I was considering whether I should give up my seat and stand instead, he suddenly turned and asked me "Why didn't he (one politician on the sign) talk to me or at least smile at me?".
Okay, no more hesitation. I moved my ass away from him as fast as I possibly could.
I do not understand why I dedicate my blog to a full loads of strangers today. Weird enough. And so random.
1 comment:
ha ha ha ha - telling a stranger you prefer girls is NOT a way to brush them off - it will probably make them keener. The suggestion that the man go copulate with his mother was good though :)
Yours faithfully, Doctorbond who is BOTH a farang and a stranger - scary !!!!!
Post a Comment