Saturday, February 28, 2009

An astonishing Japanese comment

As I said earlier, I started lang-8 page for the purpose of practicing my Japanese writing skills. I'm trying to write it as often as I can.

The responses were awesome! Everyone has been very helpful. Many Japanese corrected my journals and left some comments about the stories I wrote, my Japanese skills, etc.

The other day I was writing an entry expressing my opinion about Japanese movie called "Otoko wa tsuraiyo" (Wikipedia translated in "It's tough being a man lol). I watched it in Japanese class and personally thought it was *in whisper* extremely boring! My teacher said Otoka wa tsuraiyo was originally a very popular TV series in Japan with 48 episodes! Plus the main character Tora-san remains a favorite character of Japanese of all time.

I see nothing attractive about this Tora-san. Honestly, his personality is very similar to Thai people; always "sabai-sabai", easy-going, funny, etc.

In other words, everything that is opposite from typical Japanese.

Judging from the comments, it does seem like Japanese love this man. Most people said it's a very fun movie and talk about how much they like Tora-san and so on, which really sounds mind-boggling (to me).

Anyway, there was a Japanese guy that caught my attention in particular.

He said Tora-san is a good-hearted guy and blah blah blah. He ended his comment by saying "Westerners wouldn't understand this because they don't have much virtue"

WHAT????????????????????????????????

It left my mouth hanging open.

So I immediately double-checked the vocab in my electronic dictionary and slowly read this sentence for 5 times.

Maybe I was misleading. Let it be that I translated it wrong.

Oh god.

End of story.

No comments: