Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Funny

Friend : When you were in the US, what kind of brand name stuff did you buy?

Me (taken aback): What?

Friend: You know, like...what brands do you like? Didn't you buy any brand name bags, shoes, or clothes, etc?

Me: No.

Friend: Oh...

Me: I don't use brand name stuff. I'm happy with my 300 baht bags. Why would I buy those brand name bags that I can't afford?

Friend (blankly staring at me)

Me: I'm not rich, you know.

Friend: I don't believe you.

This is really ridiculous. Honestly, it didn't cost THAT much for going on an exchange program like people mostly assumed because I partially received a scholarship from the organization. I'm sure many of my friends can also afford paying $6500 for a year (monthly pocket money excluded) living in the USA.

I'm not like some friends of mine who got brand-new cars or 40,000 baht Balenciaga purse bought in London on their 20th birthdays. It's great that they (I should say their families) could afford those stuff, but it's different for me.

It's funny that she didn't believe me.

3 comments:

Gen Kanai said...

I (and others) will tell you that money does not buy happiness. It is true. Money can buy comfort, but that is not happiness. You can easily find many wealthy people who may be financially wealthy but morally or spiritually or emotionally bankrupt.

Natta said...

I agree with you. Money makes thing convenient and, unfortunately, is necessary in today's society, but I also believe it's not the ultimate answer to everything.

I once gave a speech in my English class under the topic "money can't buy happiness." Sadly, people weren't quite convinced by the idea. Maybe it's because my presentation skill wasn't good enough, but on the other hand I was disappointed that people seem to cling to the idea of materialism and see there's nothing wrong about it.

Unknown said...

Agree with you. It seems to me that kids in Thailand judge others so much on external appearances such as clothing. Sometimes it's just too much..

(I'm not Thai, but no offense though.)

It's just hard for some of them to understand. It's a very different kind of thinking..

Having money is a must, but money alone doesn't stand a chance to bring you happiness :)