Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Thailand Talk

Lately I haven't blogged much like I used to because I don't really feel there's much going on worth to be talked about. I spend most of the time thinking about myself, my plans, my work, my future - all things concerned about ME, ME, ME, and more ME.

Selfish and self-centered? Oh yes, isn't that what we all have been trained from education these days? It might not be true for all cases, but I strongly feel this way for my university here.

Had a talk with my English major friend the other day during lunch. She brought the topic up by saying Thailand is the country of patronization.

"And compromise," I added.

She added more that the only way to make Thailand become a developed country is getting rid of the majority of Thai people at the moment and importing the new population from somewhere else.

Both of us think the major problem that Thailand remained undeveloped is because of Thai people and attitude. We can't go anywhere further if we are still the way we are. Look at Korea now. Who were they back then? They were nothing! And now? Thai people start using Samsung TV and LG cell phones, not to mention the cultural attack invaded in our country.

Will there be a day we Thais get to use "good quality" Thai phones?

On the other hand, I can't help but think if, somehow, we are to become a developed country, will we change? Will we stop being considerate about others?

The other day I was walking from my house to get to Rod Song Taew (What's an English word for this?) and the road was flooded. I thought I'd have to walk through the nasty flooded water when a neighbor, who was about to leave his house, offered to give me a ride. I was really thankful for that.

In spite of being my neighbor, we're total strangers and I've never talked to him before.

As a person using public transportation daily, I've witnessed many times that Thai people are really helpful for one another. When Rod Song Taew is about to take off and there are some people running to get on the bus, there's always someone on the bus ringing the bell for them and the driver will wait.

There was one time at the bus stop I was asked by a foreigner which bus he should take and I didn't know. A Thai lady standing next to me told the answer which I passed on to the said foreigner.

And even though we complain that people these days, especially "gentlemen", stop giving up seats to children or senior citizens, I think it's not really that bad, if compared to what I had seen in Japan. During my 2 month stay there, I had never seen a single person giving up seats to anyone on the bus. Never.

Those are some little things from everyday life that made me think Thailand is not really so bad, though it drives me crazy at times.

I want our country to be developed because I think we deserve a better quality of life. But will the good "Thainess" characteristic change? Will we develop "It's not my business, why should I give a shit" kind of attitude, if we are to be developed? Because those are what I've seen in the so-called developed countries.

I really don't know.

2 comments:

Talen said...

unfortunately I think the Thainess characteristic will change with more development.

America used to be a lot like Thailand in attitude and community but that was a long time ago.

My first trip to Thailand I was in Awe of how nice everyone was and how everyone had a smile for me. In America people won't even look at you walking down the street.

I think it would take a very long time for Thailand to become like this but I also think it's the inevitability of change.

Michael Chen said...

I don't really think so. Developing is one thing, but the culture characteristics is another story. It's hard to predict whether Thailand will become a fully developed country in the future or not. South Korea recovered from economic crisis, and built these giant bussiness group. Yeah, sounds really nice, but then what people got there after this? South Korea became one of the most captitalised countries in Asia, and most of people suffered the high living cost pressure. All these economic growing only benefits to these elite group. This is something you wish to see in Thailand?

Apart from South Korea, Taiwan is another story. Taiwan is also a kind of developed country (if you don't take account for the current government leadership). Over 6 million people live and work at Taipei, the capital of this country. Taking public transportation (MRTs and Buses) is a kind of nightmare during the rush hour. However, you can still find some empty seats marked as "priority" for the pregnant women, children or the elders. Even if it's pretty full, people (for whatever the age is) would be willing to give her/his seat to them. I bet you that taiwanese have more western or Japanese culture influence than Thais, but some characteristic do not just change because everything is developing.