Sunday, May 13, 2012

Scandinavian and English weekend

Keep reading this post and you'll understand how blatant the blog title is, sorry for that, but my brain can't seem to function on a hot Sunday afternoon like today (excuse *cough*)

I stayed at office longer than usual for the whole week, leaving office almost 8PM or even 8:30 PM. As I had mentioned last post that our website will launch a campaign in June, we were given time less than a week, and the deadline was on Thursday, so it was a short amount of time to get it finished. Currently I'm in charge of about 100 hotels and the sales target is about 3 times higher than last month, so naturally there is quite a lot more work to do and more people to contact. Hopefully I'll be able to breathe a bit this upcoming week as it was horrible staying at the office until 8 almost every day! I just found a cool infographic on Work smarter - not harder, and think I need to remind myself of it.

Was invited to a Nordic Young Professional event on Friday in Thonglor. It was a bit funny considering that I'm neither Nordic nor Professional, only "young" maybe? It was a networking event between Scandinavians living in Thailand and some Thais who grew up or used to study/work in Scandinavian countries, and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't been invited by a Swedish-Thai. His hotel was a sponsor to the event too, so he just signed up for me. There was a speed networking activity, kind of like speed dating but it was called "networking" (really, really...), in the beginning, but we missed it because we got there late, which was perfectly fine with me. We got free Carlsberg beer and I think it tasted quite good, which means a lot for someone who's not quite a big fan of beer like me. Mostly I just hung out with his friends and was introduced to quite a few people. There were a lot of Scandinavian guys but not many girls there, so I wonder if this is because not many Scandinavian girls live here or they just didn't come to the event!? Got to ask a couple of guys and they all seem to enjoy their life in Bangkok, one Swedish said "What's not to enjoy? This is a city of life", the other Danish said "Bangkok is the best place to live", and I was really curious and really wanted to know the reasons behind. Think I want to hear other points of view as I'm really fed up of Bangkok right now. After the event we went to his Thai friends' farewell afterwards at a pub and restaurant nearby. Definitely 2 very  different feelings between Thais and Scandinavians in one night. I got asked from his Thai friend if we are friends or if we are dating. Pretty straightforward... All in all it was a good night. Got to know a lot of people so that was cool. 

Then on Saturday night I went to Summer camp live with my friends. The concert venue was a bit small, it was just an open space like a studio with no chairs, but there were more people than I expected. I didn't imagine a lot of Thais would know or listen to an independent band from London. The opening bands weren't that good, though the Japanese artist was kind of cute and very, well, Japanese...My friends and I were standing in the front right next to the stage and we were so close to the band. To be honest, I do enjoy their record more than the live concert. Can't really explain why, but I think Elizabeth didn't sing that impressively, and it felt like it lacked ... something. It sure was a good experience though. In fact, I've been listening to their songs since I got back from the concert last night until now on repeats. 

So there it was, my weekend. Enjoyable, not a boring one this time! 

No comments: