Friday, October 24, 2008

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife

You wouldn't think I seriously mean it from my title, would you? because we no longer live in 19th century anymore. I'm just referring to the first sentence of the book Pride and Prejudice. After we've been hearing this sentence over and over again last semester, I decided to start reading Pride and Prejudice today and found out it wasn't that boring like I had thought, though I had to pay more attention when reading it and found some parts are a bit difficult to comprehend due to the "delicacy" of language and vocabulary. When I first told my English major friend that I wanted to read it, she said "Good, this book can show you woman's code of decorum", and I was like "what the hell is code of decorum?", which, ironically enough, I found out later that such use of language of mine clearly shows NO code of decorum at all.

Like I had mentioned earlier, I talked my friend into reading the Twilight saga and turned her into an obsessed one like me. Apparently, she's getting out of control with the books. These past couple days I've been receiving SMS from her whenever she wanted to discuss some parts of the book with me. Yesterday she even called me to talk about the actions going on between characters in the book, and I guess I was okay with it and cooperated with her. Except another part of me thinking it's funny how we try to analyze these fictional characters like they are real and somehow a voice in my head ringing "Hello, intro to Eng fiction going on here?"

Which randomly reminds me one thing in Intro to Literature class last semester. This is what we learned about how a piece of literature should be written theoretically. They should have

Inciting moment -> Rising action -> Climax -> Falling action -> Moment of last suspense.

I couldn't help but giggle. Must admit the first thing ran to my mind had NOTHING related to literature at all.

Anyway, back to my friend and twilight, this morning I received another msg in CAPITAL letters and I could picture her screaming while typing this "OH MY GOD, BELLA IS PREGNANT. OH MY GOD. HOW? I THOUGHT IT WAS A SICK JOKE. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!"

Did she asked me HOW Bella got pregnant? It was soo funny. So I hit the reply button right away because I thought I kinda had an idea about her feelings. But again another part of me was thinking "Jesus, Bella is NOT your sister. Don't worry. Calm down."

You know, it's really amazing how Stephenie Meyer phenomenon could have this kind of effect on girls around the world. And I'd like to believe it's something that people with Y chromosome wouldn't get it quite easily.

Oh, and yesterday I just read the mediator series by Meg Cabot when I stumbled upon this sentence in the book "Women need men like fish needs bicycle". and I was like...what the hell? what kind of analogy is that? But I was laughing for some reason I still can't figure it out.

Well, I think it's absurdly funny, though it's not true. We need men you know, we just don't need...asshole. Wait, it's not the same thing, is it? (Of course not! Positive thinking, Natta. Positive. Breathe)

And talking about THAT, the other day I also got the most surprising text message in these last 5 months from this asshole - AKA. a person I detest most in the world.

Seriously, how did he have a gut to send me a freakin' sms after all was done? I basically had my mouth hanging open when opening that text. With no intention of replying or doing anything with it, of course. He has his life, I have mine, and our paths of life will no longer be crossed. Ever. I thought it was pretty clear 5 months ago that there was no effing way to amend it.

This one single text message really pissed me off. Eff you.

Shit, I seriously lack the code of decorum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife'

Now there's a concept that has passed it's sell by date.... my modern day version would be....

"It is patently obvious that the last thing a man in possesion of a good fortune needs, is a wife"

A cost/benefit analysis would show that unless said wife was also in possesion of a good fortune, the risks will far outweigh the benefits

he he :)