Since I started working, it becomes much more clearer that the majority of people in this society judge other people by their statuses and, mostly, appearances; (brand name) bags you use, job title you hold, dresses you wear, etc. You get the idea.
It makes me sad sometimes, seeing that most people are extremely materialistic and caring about nothing else but brand name bags or expensive cars.
The other day my colleagues and I were exchanging name cards with a hotel owner, and some of them were oohs and aahs at his name card title afterwards. And I just don't get it. They got so excited because of what? Because he's rich? Influential? Is that it?
It's all about money, money, and more money, isn't it? Is that the only thing people think about these days?
One more thing, as a sales, my job allows me to contact with a variety of people, and I've noticed the social "class" much more clearer than when I was in school and university. During my study everyone seems to be in the same, equal level, or in other words middle class and upper middle class people. Sometimes it makes me think of and see Thailand from that perspective, when in fact we are (weird to say this) the "minority" in our country. I was talking to my Japanese boss the other day and she said she read somewhere that 80% of Thailand population receive less than 10,000 Baht, or approximately 350$, a month.
80% of the population, less than 10,000 Baht. Just ... Wow when you look at it in figures or statistics like that, because all my life I've been surrounded by people who receive much, much more than that. In fact, recently I've told some people I don't drive and use BTS, I got this I-can't-believe-you-use-public-transportation look and he did make a face at the word BTS.
Having different values, lifestyles, and upbringings, the gap between people in the same country is so wide that it's almost like they are from different countries.
It feels strange. I wonder how many of my friends think about this, because some of them seem to be quite busy chasing after that latest Miu Miu bag ..
No comments:
Post a Comment