Accidentally found out yesterday that some people at my faculty referred to me as "hi-so" just because I rarely listen to Thai songs, don't think Thai comedies are THAT funny, don't watch Thai soap operas, and read English books.
Excuse me, the English books I read are chick-lit and fictions, NOT politics, economics, or philosophy. You don't have to tell me that chick-lit are nonsense, thank you very much. I am quite aware of it myself, and have thought long before that maybe I should try to read something more useful and practical.
But somehow, reading chick-lit in English are viewed by others as hi-so already?
It made me wanna laugh. It seems like anything related to Western world for people here can be referred to it as hi-so. A friend of mine who enjoys reading history, archeology, and literature in his free time will never be called hi-so, just because he reads them in Thai. To me, that IS the real definition of hi-so, but others don't think about it that way.
And I have never thought you could gossip about people's tastes whose are different than yours.
Or maybe you could. I can never understand people who are crazily obsessed with Korean stuff (read: guys) either. Besides, I might have forgotten that people, especially among girls, DO have special ability of gossiping about everything.
The other day I was infuriated after reading a blog about Thai girls, that we're bound to get low-key jobs, that we know so little of the world, that we can never raise our heads above men, that the only ways we can afford a good quality of life are by marrying rich guys or farangs, that#@$%#@%@#$(WTF?)
Oh, don't make me write anymore. It might be just a person's opinion but I always, ALWAYS, find this stuff hard to take it in.
But seriously, if only the fact that I don't listen to Thai music and read chick-lit in English are presumably labeled as hi-so by other girls, then I don't know why I had to be mad for after all.
Deep sigh............................................
No comments:
Post a Comment