I'm Buddhist, but I'm probably not a good one if I say I don't really understand the concept of Karma; how they all connect together from previous lifetime, affect the present life, and will continuously affect the afterlives with no boundaries.
Take this as an example. My parents fight (Surprise, surprise! What else is new?) and somehow at some certain point my mom said it's because of the "Karma" they still have toward each other (possibly from previous lifetime? I don't know) and they both need to compensate until all is paid off (possibly in next lives? or after that? I don't know either). That's why they're suffering right now.
Or something like it.
It's okay if she believes that. Isn't Karma a big part of Buddhism anyway? But I'm not sure if I do. It's all very simple here. She married someone and discovered the ugly side of that someone. They fought because they have different viewpoints and don't understand each other. They're still together because they decided to take the shit of that person and tolerated. That's it. It's all about THEIR decisions. THEIR choices. THEMSELVES. What's Karma gotta do in this?
And the thing about reincarnation, I'm not really sure about it either. The point is, I won't be able to remember whatever happened in my past lives or will happen in my next lives (if there are ones) anyway. All I have is RIGHT HERE and RIGHT NOW. I don't know why some people think that if their life sucks, they still hope for the next lives to be better. Seriously? Will you be able to remember any of these in your next lives? Why don't they think about trying to make things better in THIS present life? Right here and right now? Starting from their own thoughts and actions?
I remembered once I asked my friend if there was anything wrong with her because she looked upset. She answered me that she thought she deserved her Karma. (Or translated literally in Thai กรรมตามทัน "Her Karma has followed her")
I honestly couldn't form a word for that answer.
I don't claim that I know what exactly Karma is. More likely, there are much more on the topic that I'm still left unknown and unaware of. All I'm saying is, I don't really understand it. Trying to look at it differently, it can be just another alternative way of explanation. They use Karma to explain the consequences of things, but I don't.
Apparently, I'm more inclined to believe in the power of free will, which, surprisingly, not too long ago I was told that "free will" is another important principle in Buddhism.
Interesting. I may have to find out about that later.
3 comments:
Oh God, don't get me started on this. Although maybe I don't have to start because you've pretty much summed up my sentiments on the subject.
I just want to say all this karma and praying and religion and whatnot is man-made and, in my humble opinion, a lazy way for humans to explain all the fucked up shit that happens to them. The end.
- yep, what chariya said.
It's a tough proposition that you grow up and develop your individuality absorb knowledge and aquire wisdom and then suddenly one day - you're gone - end of me.
You can see why humans have developed spiritual beliefs. The competition between different religions is a pain in the rear though - although if there were only one religion people would find other means of tribalism with which to fight each other.
However, if there could be only one religion I would vote for Buddhism - it's by far the most passive and peaceful and to my mind the most civilised.
เมื่อวานลอง add blog แกเข้า google reader เลยเห็นว่ามี entry อะไรบ้างที่ไม่เคยอ่าน แล้วก็ต้องสะดุดกับหัวข้อ55
เราก็เคยมีคำถามแบบนี้ในหัวเหมือนแกเหมือนกัน สมัยเด็กๆเราเชื่อนะ แต่พอโตขึ้นมาก็เริ่มวิเคราะห์ว่า เฮ้ย ถ้าเราทำผิด หรือใครมาทำร้ายเรา เราจะรู้ได้ไงว่านี่หรือคือผลกรรมที่เราควรไ้ด้รับ เอ๊ะ ยังไง ถ้าสมมุตเราฆ่ามดโดยไม่ตั้งใจ อ้าว นี่เราจะบาปไหมเนี้ย หรือเป็นเวรกรรมของมด - -"
แต่ตอนนี้ หลังจากที่ได้อ่านมาบ้าง ฟังคนบอกเล่าบ้าง... เราว่าเรื่องกรรมเป็นเรื่องที่ละเอียดอ่อนมาก แต่ที่แน่ๆ อย่างในกรณีที่แม่แกพูด เราว่านั่นอาจจะเป็นกรรมจริงๆก็ได้ ถ้า... คนที่โดนกระทำรู้สึกว่าต้องเองต้องโดนทำต่อไป เหมือนเป็นพันธะ เราว่านั้นดูจะเป็นเรื่องของกรรม คือเหมือนกับหนีไม่พ้น ถึงจะมีคนพยายามจะช่วย แต่ยังไงก็ต้องได้รับ อะไรประมาณนั้น เราไม่สามารถจะหนีไปได้
อืม เราไม่เคยพูดเรื่องอะไรแบบนี้กับแกเลยนะเนี้ย 555
Post a Comment