Thursday, March 10, 2011

こっそりやってる?

I went to teach English today and had a conversation with a lovely Japanese lady, my student, as usual. We were talking about writing blogs and she said she has one but has never told anyone she writes a blog. She said 「こっそりやってる」or "I write it secretly" And somehow I told her I also have a blog and don't really tell anyone too, even though I've been writing for years. I think I've told one or two friends directly that I have a blog and that's it.

Okay, so I have the link on twitter (for some very weird reason), but I've just put it up recently like last month or something. Been thinking about taking it off soon, actually. Because it just feels really strange.

It sounds strange to feel strange, right? It's totally normal to tell people you have a blog because having a blog is supposed to be about sharing it publicly, isn't it? To be honest, I think I'm too embarrassed to let other people know and read about what I write. Seriously, like way too embarrassed. I love to write, not poetry or anything pretty, but write to express my feelings/opinions. When I get upset, I write because it makes me feel better, but I don't think I can write that well, either in Thai or English, no need to mention Japanese!

I've read many interesting blogs that give a lot of useful information and/or inspiration to people, but my blog really is not like that. I write this mainly for myself, talk about my very, very ordinary life and what I think, question about things from little things in Thailand like this to an extremely touchy issue in Thai society like this, and rant. Basically, it's really random and nothing that interesting. And I don't think my life, my rants, or my opinions are that important enough to "advertise" for everyone to come read my blog.

My student also said it is quite impressive that I write my blog in English, not in Thai.

Well, this is probably why I originally started a blog, because it's a chance to force myself to write and use English as a way of practicing it. Studying at a Thai university surrounded by Thai people, I do not have a chance to talk and write English at all in Thailand. I'd never write my diary in English because that would be too weird. But somehow writing a blog in English seems okay (another weird thing that probably does not make sense at all) Maybe because some of my friends write their blogs in English too? (or at least they used to)

Oh well, enough about this blog stuff. Today I went to the campus to (finally) check my grades and was literally shocked to have found out that I've got all A's and A+. Didn't think I did that well in all subjects. Then I went to buy some N1 JLPT preparation books at the university book store. Spent about 7,000 yen in total. Crazy, I know. But I've checked with my Thai friends and they said they haven't been able to find N1 stuff in Thailand yet, so I might as well buy them here in Japan when I have a chance. The more I think about it, the more I'm certain I really should try take JLPT this July. It will be crazy like hell and won't be fun, but I feel like I should do it. At least I force myself to give it a try. And whenever I try for exams, it means I take it seriously. Though there is a high possibility that I won't pass N1, I want to try my best. Because in the end I can tell myself that I've tried and that's probably the most important thing to me.

Just got two big boxes for stuff that I need to send back home. I hate to leave things to the last minute so I figure I might as well start now and, if possible, send them next week. Did try to put some winter coats and bulky sweaters in the box and was frustrated with how much room they need. My original plan is to send only two boxes, but this looks like I might need three. Dislike, dislike, and dislike!

I've listened to the new Death Cab song here. Hmm, not sure what to think about it. Maybe it'll grow on me after a while. My current favorite Death Cab song is this one. The acoustic version is lovely. And I go back and listen to On Peak Hill by Stars on repeats over and over again. Somehow I find it very soothing. Also, I love Undeclared by The Dodos. Simple, relaxing music, but the verse "my love stays undeclared" can, not surprisingly so, make me feel "ouch" every time I listen to it.

No comments: