I think I want to continue my master's in Sweden.
No, this thought hasn't been inspired by any Swedish (It's true! I'm not lying!). I've been thinking about it many months ago since I knew Swedish government offer scholarships to foreign students every year; covered tuition fees, monthly allowance, and plane tickets. Sounds like a really great deal. I didn't know there'd be a country as generous as Japan in terms of giving scholarships.
But I kept hesitating because I kept coming up with several excuses to myself "I don't know anything about Sweden, why Sweden?" "What would I do with my Japanese if I studied in Sweden? I would forget everything" blablabla.
This morning, after I had been browsing and researching at studyinsweden (LOVE the website layout; very clean and simple yet well-organized and informative), somehow I felt a bit more certain that I want to try this. I knew I wanna go study abroad for my master's and wouldn't wanna get stuck here studying in Thai university again. I'd love to study in England, but there aren't many scholarships offered and I seriously don't want to be financially dependent on my parents anymore. After I started working and having my own money to spend, the thought of having to ask parents to support me financially made me cringe. And even though I love Japan, the place where I can say it'll always hold a special place in my heart because of so many good memories happened in that country, at the same time I don't want to go study master's there. Plus I know I really, really want to go to Europe and explore, and many people say you can get by in Sweden by using English because the majority of people can communicate, so it might be ok. And there's something about Scandinavian countries that intrigued me, mostly about their social system, incredible social welfare, great standard of living. As a Thai person, being able to rely on your government to support you is something unimaginable and unthinkable, it's like the complete opposite from my country.
I think I want to study about business but still don't know where it's going to lead me to or what exactly I want to be doing if I pursue a degree in business. This unknown feeling has been haunting me for ages, because usually I like to plan things and know where I'm heading to. I just know I don't wanna study in humanities field anymore. The past 4 years were enough, and I want to try something new and different. My father couldn't quite believe I want to do business, though. You should've seen a look on his face when I told him I might be doing that! My mother also said I shouldn't do business just because it feels like everyone else is doing. That's how I came to second-guess myself again, whether I really want to be doing this as a 2 year commitment.
But as for now, I really can't think of other things I want to study.
Found an interesting program at Stockholm School of Economics here which doesn't require a bachelor's in business or economics degree. The problem is, GMAT score is required for admission, and I really, really have no confidence in my (non-existent) math skills. It's almost hopeless!
If I want to apply for the scholarship, I should start considering it seriously. The deadline for university admission is around December-January for August semester. If I leave this until December 2013 and go study in August 2014, honestly it feels too long to keep working in this company until 2014, so this December feels like the best timing for me, but there will be a lot of preparation; GMAT (for some courses that required), IELTS, statement of purpose, etc, etc.
Am I willing to work hard for it, starting now?
That's the question I need to think it through. Also, what exactly do I want!?
But I must say it feels great to have another goal on something entirely new and different in my life again.
No comments:
Post a Comment