Sunday, July 1, 2012

Two different worlds in the same country

There was so much I wanted to say (write/type) earlier this week but came the end of the week I didn't feel like elaborating as much. Should have written when everything was fresh but once again I was too lazy.

The Wharton school event on Monday was pretty interesting and quite inspiring to see a lot of many talented people/alumni. The majority of them have background in consulting which is not a big surprise. To see that there are a lot of Thai people who have goals and plans on what they wanna do for the future and for their career made me feel really, really small. Intimidated even. Everyone is struggling and striving to be better, to aim higher, but what about me? I can't really afford to lose my time feeling lost anymore. Maybe the problem is me feeling afraid to decide anything, when I can just pick a path, pick something, and start heading that way...

Then on Tuesday I decided to go to my client's colleague (who is also my client. I contacted both of them at work) surprise birthday dinner and was glad I did. It wasn't that boring as I thought it'd be and because it was a group of about 10 hotel people, I got to chat to almost everyone, so it was cool. But what made me a bit uncomfortable was some conversations. It's just...different. First when some people found out I graduated from Chula, some looked at me like I was a God and said they would never be able to get into that university and never even thought about trying to because it was way out of their league. And to be honest I'm really not used to that kind of attitude because to me, graduating from Chula is really common. I'm surrounded by majority of friends who graduate from Chula so it's never seen as a big deal for us. It's just another common thing to do, you finish high school, you pretty much go to either Chula or Thammasat. It wasn't even difficult for me to get in and my entrance score was like in top 5% (though studying there was another story) That's my "world", and I never saw Chula as unattainable like these people so it feels quite strange to hear that.

Then during dinner I was talking to my American client about his other project he's involved besides hotel thing, and I was asking about how he collects consumers data etc, when his Thai wife sort of interrupted and said "Why are you guys talking about serious stuff? This is not time to be serious" and I was like, really. I was just asking about his project and how he's doing and she thinks it's "serious"? What is not serious stuff then? Gossiping about other people and talking about guys like they do, perhaps? I couldn't quite believe it. To me, it was just exchanging some ideas! My friends and I talk about what we are doing at work, how we are feeling toward work, what we plan to do with work, how we plan to continue master's, etc all the time. Like I said, it's different.

From Monday to Tuesday, it really made me feel as if I live in 2 different worlds in the same country. It's amazing how people's mentality can be so different though they are from the same country. Pretty weird.

Been feeling super lazy at work last week. I was Twittering, Facebooking, in other words slacking off a lot more than usual! It was the first week in about 5 months I haven't been outside of office and it felt boring. I prefer going out and about and visiting my clients more. Think it'll change this week as I plan to make appointments to visit hotels myself.

Had fun on Friday night on a bit of bar hopping on Sukhumvit11 with my old high school friends. Recently I've found it really strange that I drink beer and don't hate it and actually think it's quite good! Maybe I've just grown up...It was great fun laughing with my old friends about so many things. Sukhumvit11 surely was more affordable than Thonglor. I paid 120Baht for cocktail when in Thonglor I'd have to pay more than twice as much! And it was pretty delicious too.

Should go to bed early for more energy throughout the week. Let's see if I can manage to go to bed before 11.30! I slept 3 hours for an afternoon nap today. Insane! Don't want to feel so exhausted on weekdays anymore though somehow it's kind of unavoidable these days.

No comments: