Sunday, November 23, 2008

First day of trying to be a perfect host

I'm a little tired but I figure I wanted to write something about today.

It's like I'm going back 4 years ago when I first went to the States with a reverse order. Now I kind of understand a bit more of being a host, even if it will be only a couple of days. The awkwardness is there, the language and culture barriers between Jim, my parents, and my extended family are also there. I think we did scare him off a bit at Chinese restaurant today when we told him that in his bowl was shark fin soup lol. Everything is just so awkward, even in my house. Jim is totally spoiled by my mom and he even mentioned himself that we do treat him like a king. Personally, I feel it's toooooo much, but mom insisted we have to take care of him the best we can. Thai style, I guess. I was like mom you know what? Not a single American has ever treated me this way no matter how nice they are. It's soooo different.

Jim looks like he really is a nice guy. I'm kind of wondering, though, what he's thinking about us. Gosh, I knew the first few days I was in the States, I had a certain opinion about lots of things, comparing this and that to home.

But I know he must really care for my brother cuz he always says my brother is like his third son, and he is his American dad. He once offered to adopt him when he knew that my brother wanted to stay in the States and didn't wanna come back to Thailand! It's amazing, you get two people from different side of the world with totally different ethnicity and background and culture and pretty much EVERYTHING, living together for only a year, and bonding that kind of relationship. When the chemistry works out, it's the best part of being an exchange student. When it doesn't, it's still challenging and adds another experience in your life. To me, my exchange year has quite an impact for my personality today. Didn't realize back then, but I can see it more clearly now. I could talk or discuss about it for hours how it has changed me, but I don't think anyone would wanna listen or care about lol.

Now I realize my English is just like American economy at the moment, in recession that is. Very sad.

I probably should go to bed. It's been a long day today. Tomorrow it'll be another long day, but I'm really looking forward to. Will go to uni in the morning, probably go to Mainichi for more information about Kyoto, and go to Japan tourist information center on Rama 4 road. Then I'll have dinner with my ex-boss, who is an editor and movie critics นันทขว้าง สิรสุนทร, and probably with the rest of the columnists, including my friend. And then we'll go see Twilight premiere (I know I talk about this every single day, I just can't stop lol). My brother's girlfriend who is currently in the States had been trying to get the ticket to see Twilight, but everywhere was sold out! This thing is SO huge over there. I wish it could be that huge here so that I don't have to tell everyone to read it anymore lol. Many people at my faculty started reading it and are quite obsessed about it just like me haha.

No comments: