Does anyone feel like me that going to funerals in Thailand is almost equivalent to going to a party?
I haven't been to many funerals before. When I do go to one, it is usually a short visit to pay respect to the deceased.
Because we're the host of the funeral this time, I got to observe the whole event from the beginning to the end and just understood why our Japanese teacher used to ask why Thai people look so cheery at the funerals and it seems like a "sanook" event that everyone has a great time.
Usually the first day of funeral is for family/relatives/close friends, so today we expected more guests attending. The party...sorry I mean the funeral was in full swing around 6.30-7 when the guests start coming before the monks arrive. Later, the monks chant in the language that I do not understand (AKA.Pali) for 3 times. Then, there was a short dinner break with refreshment provided. The monks wait for the guests to finish eating then chant again for the last time and leave.
Yeah, a party indeed; food, drinks, with people chatting the whole time.
I sort of got the idea that the funeral isn't entirely about the dead, but a socializing event for people in order to get connected to each other, sort of like another form of get-together. I think I've Waiied more than 200 people in 2 days. Saw some relatives or people that my parents know but I don't know they exist, but most of them claimed they've seen me since I was a baby and kept saying I've grown up so much and look at how beautiful I am now and they asked where I study and I say Chula and they go awww look at how (cough) smart you are (cough cough) and blaaaaaaaaah.
I was smiling the whole friggin time and trying to keep my mouth shut even though I was thinking the whole Chula people are smart ass attitude should be abolished or else I should add Chula to my middle name and write it on my forehead. Or something.
I know, I know, it's all about pleasantries and manners, but it's still funny that everyone talks to me in the SAME pattern like that.
Hope I don't sound too antisocial. This is a cool observance actually. Watching people sure is another great way of learning, and I do have to learn a lot more.
3 comments:
Natta an interesting take on funerals. I too can't quite get my head round them here. I attended one and all the guests were playing cards!
Culture gap for me.
Playing cards at the funeral? Seriously? Oh my... I'm glad the guests coming to my grandfather's funeral didn't go as far to that extent!
But the overall atmosphere really, really is similar to a party to me.
I see. I used to go to wat-tard-thong once. It's my friend's brother funeral. And you know, it's like the reunite of my primary school's friend. I met my old friends around 20-30 ppl. That's really made me feeling happy!?! Should I felt sad, right? I cried (with Pui Hong 5) before I went to that funeral. But when I be there, I felt happy!!!
One more story, I went to nazz's father funeral (around 2-3 month ago). Before I walked into that funeral, we're talking, laughing, bla bla bla. No sad feeling! But when I were in that funeral(it's the last day of funeral), I listened the introduction of nazz's father and many things from her mother (or aunt.. I'm not sure). You know, that made me almost cry! (Ploy also cried!) I believe that the last day of funeral, you will see another feeling!
Don't be sad nah' Our life must go on!!!
Post a Comment