Monday, March 23, 2009

It won't be long yeah, yeah, yeah

Finally, I started packing...a bit. It wasn't too bad, a lot easier than packing for a one-year trip!

It's Spring, a season of Sakura or Cherry blossom, in Japan. Japanese usually celebrate this time of the year with Hanami (flower viewing) parties under the trees. It looks like I'll be arriving for the best cherry blossom viewing time because cherry blossoms start blooming ahead of their average schedule this year.

I'm really excited, though this won't be the first time in Japan. The first time I went to Japan was a 5 day trip with my family 7 years ago traveling with all Thai people and with the guide's help. I didn't know much about Japan back then, probably just like what other average Thais know, which was pretty much about Sushi, Sakura, Kimono, Sashimi, Geisha, etc. I couldn't speak/read/write Japanese either.

This time will more likely give me a whole different feelings toward Japan. I'll be traveling with a friend by ourselves plus staying with Japanese host families for 2 months. I know more about Japanese language and culture, though I have many things yet to learn. I'm wondering whether I'll see Japan as wickedly awesome like I did for the first time.

At the same time I'm a little nervous because my Japanese really sucks! Plus I'm very positive I'll get lost all the time, considering how GOOD I am at directions, but I suppose I should see it as a great chance of practicing Japanese with the locals, if they cooperate! I've heard some of them have a mild case of xenophobia, but I'm not a Westerner, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad(?)

Bad news is my friend who is traveling with me has been sick. She told me today she has a fever :( Oh my...I'm wondering whether I'll be transforming myself into a nurse.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natta you made me laugh talking about xenophobia!

I know a few Thais and English that suffer from that!

Have a good trip.

Anonymous said...

oh dear, the best way to solve the problem of your error-direction is tag name! Don't forget to write your host's address, name, and telephone number on the tag(In both English and Japanese). And if you know that you're getting in trouble about the direction, show your tag to someone nah' They may give you a direction to go home. Don't be too shy nah', dek-noi! lol

And you know, if I dial 08x-0xx00xx, who will pick up this call? So, I can't call this number around 2 months!!! oh, this is so.... so so so goood! lol just kiddin nah' :D

Have a good trip and great experience there!!!

Miss you always :)

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Japan and I'm sure they will show respect if you do get lost and point you in the right direction. Chok dee krap.

Natta said...

Ammii - Did you just call me เด็กน้อย? WTF? I wasn't talking about how to get to my host family. I was referring to 7 days I'll be wandering around the country in like 5 different cities.

Actually, you know what, I DONT even have my host family's address!!! I have their phone number but have NO idea where they live. Mainichi said they'll meet me at school.

AND did you call me shy? OH MY GOD! Who are you, stranger? :P

Sure, you can call my cell, but no one will be picking it up ;)

Mike and Martyn - Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip ...look forward to reading about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Let us know if you have any questions about Japan. Your Japanese readers are here to help :)