Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's...only...words?

Winston Churchill said "We are masters of the unsaid words, but slave of those we let slip out"

This doesn't apply to some people around here.

A friend of mine called to ask if I can go do activity A with her. It's quite an important one and she said I should inform her if I plan to do so. She kept repeating to me to make sure I remember our arrangement.

Then I found out later on that she went to do that all by herself without saying a word to me.

It's a very, very little thing. Neither I was mad nor upset that she went to deal with it before I did since I have to do that anyway without her asking me to.

But this small incident just showed me that I CANNOT take some people's words seriously.

You know what I would do if I was her? At least I would bother to call and let the other know that there was no need to worry because I have already gone to take care of the business on my own.

Personally, I see this seemingly meaningless action as a discredit. From now on I know words don't mean much to her but something that slips out of her mouth. Sometimes a small thing like this can help me form a better picture of how that person is.

Another lesson learned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natta as you go through life you find that many people are transparent and not worthy of your friendship. The older you get the less "the letdown" hurts and the easier it is to explain to yourself why. Good friends are few and far between. Chok dee krap.

Anonymous said...

Natta I am also reminded of the English Proverb/idiom "don't judge a book by its cover."

Taken in this context to mean that maybe despite her actions there is some inner value that she possesses that first attracted you to be friends.

If this is the case, just let it go and focus on what is good about your friendship.

Natta said...

Martyn - Kob kun ka :) This is one of the many reasons I feel grateful to have a few of my close friends that I can trust. I wouldn't care much about others outside of this "group"

Mike - She's never been my close friend from the very beginning so I don't think it'll hurt our friendship much. She and I can always hang out, but I was just trying to say that this helped me learn more about characters of people in general.