Monday, August 30, 2010

My First Kimono wearing practice


Got up at 8 on Sunday which was clearly the earliest I had to get up in months! Then I went to my first kimono wearing practice lesson with my Australian friend. It was soooo difficult trying to put Kimono on. There are sooo many, too many steps to follow. I don't think I've ever worn anything that complicated in my life before, not even the Thai traditional dress! The Obi which is the big bow on the back was the most difficult part. We did not do the whole thing by hands (Thank God). They have some sort of special helping tool to form the shape, but still it was so difficult because, like I had mentioned, there are so many steps to follow in order. When I finally got to wear it, it turned out to be heavier than I had thought.


My friend and I will have to go practice wearing it several times. The reason we're doing all of this is because we decided to participate in Kimono wearing contest for international students that will be held in December and we'll have to wear the whole thing by ourselves on the actual day. Right now I have no confidence at all that I'll be able to do it, but we'll see. We still have some time left.

On another note, I'm going to Korea on September 1st. We've been talking about it for months, and now it's finally time to go. Not that we had planned what to do or where to go or ANYTHING...oh yeah. But one of my friends who will go on this trip is Japanese who studied in Seoul for one year and can speak Korean and we'll meet our Korean friend in Busan for one day. It should be okay, I think.

No comments: