Saturday, June 18, 2011

We'd get so excited, we'd get so scared, laughing at ourselves thinking life's not fair

Have you ever felt like you have so many things to write about but when you actually sit down and start typing, you're not sure what to write? This is what I feel now. No, it's not going to be about my relationship-like unrelationship (it works the other way around too) and my feelings. I've noticed I've been writing about it for too many times and I should start writing about something else. I do have a life.

A life of a fourth year student who is graduating in 3 months time without having a clue of what to do with the post-graduation life.

This sounds depressing.

Oh well, let's not think about the future (as I tend to). Let's talk about the present. I'm taking SIX Japanese classes this semester which is considered by others "severely insane" Other students take about 4 or 5 at most. I myself have never taken these many Japanese classes. The most I did was 5 Japanese classes in my third year and thought I'd puke because I was so sick of Japanese at the end of semester.

This semester, as far as I'm concerned, there's only another girl in our major who takes 6 Japanese classes, and she's the best student in our major who is to be expected to receive the gold medal with first class honor when she graduates next year (AKA. The ultimate Japanese Goddess)

Anyway, I'll be fine. I have to. I told myself I won't be freaking out about my performance this semester as long as I could secure my first class honor in place. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether you get 3.6 or 3.8 out of 4.0 scales if you are not the one who receives the gold medal, because both of them equal first class honor, so what's the difference?

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother at all with this first/second class honor. From time to time it amuses me that we've been trying so damn hard, cramming and forcing as many details in our brains as possible (The thought of first year Eastern and Western Civilization class crept back haunting me...) and possibly forgetting the next day as soon as the exams are out of the way, staying up all night studying (for some...definitely not me), just for a few numbers and decimals and A PIECE OF PAPER. On the other hand, I am aware how the society, specifically Thai society, holds "values" in first class honor graduates, especially from students who graduate from top universities. There are exceptions but generally speaking, most graduates with first class honor hold advantages when it comes to applying for jobs.

But first class honor or not probably means nothing in the end if you encounter with another student whose parents or relatives have a lot of "connections" or student who is in possession of big, influential "last names"

Connection really is the key word, not only for jobs but for EVERYTHING, in Thailand.

I've heard so many times how some students don't even need to try and struggle looking for jobs because they, as a Thai saying goes, "have everything handed to them on a golden tray" Then I can't help but wonder, what if these students suck? What if they don't have a clue of what they are supposed to be doing? To be honest they probably are not that great because they don't even need to "try", but the company still has to accept them because their families have great connections. I feel sad to those potential graduates who most likely should receive the jobs instead.

Hmm...I didn't mean to write any of that! First I was going to write about my classes this semester, but I guess I got carried away. I might write about my classes next time, or something else...

No comments: