It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl in possession of her right mind must be in want of a decent man.There's just one problem...
Synopsis:
Emily Albright, a twentysomething New Yorker who had been going through a string of disastrous relationships with modern men, booked a guided tour to English countryside for her passion of Jane Austen, and most of all, Mr.Darcy and Pride and Prejudice, only to find herself encountered with another Mr.British asshole on the trip as a journalist writing a piece on why most women would like to date Mr.Darcy.
But then she realized her fantasy could come true when she actually found the real Mr.Darcy himself.
What I like about this book:
- The plot. After I just finished Pride and Prejudice a few weeks ago, the storyline is still refreshing and it feels like I reread it again for another hundred year newer version.
- The book's theme. It reminds girls who love to curl up in her bed reading chick-lit not to be caught up in some romantic fantasies too much. Because fantasy is just fantasy. It's not real, and real guys are nothing like Mr.Fitzwilliam Darcy.
- The article about Mr.Darcy. I've never "fancied" Mr.Darcy when I read Pride and Prejudice, so I don't really understand why most women think he's a perfect dream date. I just see him as a snob, self-conceited man who gets everything he wants just because...well he's rich.
What I don't like about this book:
- The narration. From the opening it was quite great and funny. But after a while it goes downhill to the point of repetition of the main character, then, it attempted to spice up the excitement a bit before the end. Even though this is just another chick-lit and is not supposed to have much sense or exceptionally good use of words, it still needs to be polished for better narrative story-telling skills.
- The main character; Emily Albright herself. I don't feel I like her or can imagine the "real" her at all.
Recommend to:
People who had read Pride and Prejudice because you would probably get a better reflex from the story. If you didn't, this could be just another ordinary chick-lit. Also, if you're looking for a very light-read that you can enjoy and finish in a few hours, this might be the one you consider.
My favorite line:
"Books might be your passion, but you can't fuck a paperback."
No comments:
Post a Comment