Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lost & (NOT) Found

I lost my Japanese-English electronic dictionary yesterday.

The worst thing is I don't think I can buy it in Thailand. Though there are some available here, it's incredibly expensive, maybe about 5-6000 Baht more expensive than those in Japan. So, I'll probably have to ask friend in Japan to buy it for me. But I think the shipping will be expensive. Or I probably can ask my friend's dad who works at Thai airways because he "might" be able to buy it if he has flight to Japan. Or I can ask my friend's friend in Japan to buy it for me because she's coming back to Thailand in February.

But I'll have to wait for a while. The thing is, I've been ENTIRELY dependent on electronic dictionary these days. I use it every single day, all the time I'm studying and doing all kinds of assignments. There are always many incomprehensible Kanjis in class and I write Kanjis on my electronic dict and it helps me find the meaning very quickly. Now I don't have it, I honestly feel HOPELESS.

How did I lose it? Well, I wouldn't say "I" was the one who lost it. The thing is, my friend borrowed the electronic dictionary from me while we were sitting together doing the homework at the faculty. She and I were using it together, then I had to leave to my morning class. She was still sitting there and doing the work.

I just realized again in the afternoon that the dictionary wasn't in my bag. I asked my friend and she said she left it on the table after she finished using it.

When we came back trying to find it, it was gone. Obviously.

I must admit that a part of it was my fault. I didn't take care of my own stuff, who else to blame? But I told the story to some of my friends, and all of them said my friend, the one who borrowed my dictionary, should pay me back.

But so far she hasn't offered anything.

This is REALLY hard. How am I supposed to say? I mean I don't expect her to pay it all (though some of my friends said she should be the one responsible for everything cuz she borrowed it and lost it). But at least it'd be nice to help pay like half of the price. My electronic dict costs about 8-9000 Baht. It's not some 10 Baht stuff that I can just throw away and forget about it.

I'm trying to find a way to beat around the bush to sort of make her realize and offer to pay herself. But you know, this kind of thing is hard to say. I don't want to be blunt, but in the end I'll probably have to speak up if she's still silent, which should be my LAST option.

Any suggestions, anyone?

3 comments:

Ben Shingleton said...

AARRGGHHH> Nightmare. Forget it. Put it behind you. Although it is definitely your friends fault!!! Good luck. (PS I think I will get a Thai English version of these)

Natta said...

Totally my nightmare. You really should get a Thai Eng version of it! I strongly recommend if you want to study Thai seriously :)

Steve said...

I feel totally horrible for you and can imagine what you're going through. My wife has a Thai-Eng electronic dict and it has been a lifesaver for her here in the U.S. (although I hope I help some too ;>)

Honestly, you left the dict in the care of your friend and she lost it and in my mind that definitely makes it her fault. How do you approach her diplomatically to ask her to replace it I don't know, but I do think you should approach the subject with her. Unfortunately I think you will need to be prepared to lose a friend if you do so.