Thursday, December 3, 2009

Technology addict

It's just my opinion after a little get-together thing with my girls from Thammasat today. Whenever I hang out with this group of friends, we always take pictures in whatever we're doing. Most of the time it's fun, but lately I feel it's been a little too much. Ever since the iPhone and now BlackBerry craze has overwhelmingly invaded Thai university students, it's getting OUT OF CONTROL. Today my friends and I were having Mexican food together and they were taking pictures simultaneously, like every single shot while the 4 of us eating. In addition, there are many applications on my friend's iPhone to edit the pics, etc. Then my friend started uploading the pictures to Facebook via her phone.

2 of my friends are studying in IT field so maybe this is natural and unavoidable for them to be "tech-savvy." But as for me, I do feel it's a little too much. It's as if our lives nowadays are very dependent on online communities, especially social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. Tons of my friends are updating their lives constantly via those sites by their cells. Since when it's become this way?

There were times while we were eating today that 2 of my friends were continuously doing/fixing something with their cells. When I asked them if this is normal to do one activity in one hand and to do something with their phones with them in the other, they say it's really normal in their faculty and many friends do it too. Wow. It's really different from people in my faculty. I'd say Faculty of Arts students are more conservative, especially with the technology-related stuff. Ironically enough, just like the portrayal of our faculty.

I'm not saying that I'm completely out of their circles. Honestly, I also am addicted to the internet. Maybe not to their extents, but I know I am. Sometimes I wish I could just NOT turn on the computer, but I can't.

On the other hand, I truly feel the world is changing so fast that sometimes I can't keep up with it. Technology is way too fast these days.

Hmm...do I sound like an old woman?

Some pics from today first (out of hundreds taken), anyone?

2 comments:

Leosia said...

Certainly the art of good conversation, uninterrupted by cellphones and social networks, seems lost on most people these days.

If you use a Mac/iPhone, you might like the Minimal Mac website. And over in Japan, Garr Reynolds, the author of Presentation Zen, has a nice blog to remind us of the importance of simplicity in design (and in life!).

http://minimalmac.com/
http://garr.posterous.com/

Natta said...

Thanks for sharing! I'll make sure to check it out.