Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Movie "รถไฟฟ้ามาหานะเธอ" - Bangkok in every sense

As a person who normally doesn't watch Thai movies, รถไฟฟ้ามาหานะเธอ (In English, Bangkok Traffic Love Story...Seriously, couldn't they pick a better name?) is the first Thai movie I watched in theater in probably about...8 years. In addition, it was the first Thai romantic comedy EVER for me.

No wonder why I felt like writing a review about it the minute I stepped out of the theater.

The movie itself has been "Talk of the Town" lately, grossing pass the 100 million Baht mark. Most importantly, this Thai romantic comedy has destroyed the generalization of Thai movies that only "slapstick" comedy and horror type could earn money here.


รถไฟฟ้ามาหานะเธอ dominates the plot under the theme "BTS", which is the most common theme that all Bangkokians (Ugh, I dislike this word. It doesn't ring nicely through my ears) can easily relate to. The sky train and Bangkok city life are closely connected, in fact it is really common that, after watching the movie, I was surprised why someone couldn't think of the theme earlier.

But then, the sky train wouldn't be so "common" after all when we have the everlasting Thai heartthrob, the Thai Prince Charming or "P'Ken" of every girls dream here. Many of my friends said just to see "P'Ken" appears at the door and smiles, the movie is worth watching. I'm very sure that merely the line "Tonight I'll pick you up at your place" is strong enough to melt many Thai girls' hearts.

Which is why รถไฟฟ้ามาหานะเธอ is completely the 2009 Cinderella story in every element. What make it more special, you ask? Because this Cinderella is no longer Western. But she's Thai. She no longer scrubs the kitchen floor and obeys the cruel stepmother's order. Instead, she works in the office and turns to a clumsy, goofy, down-to-earth, girl next door type. She's far from "perfect", she feels lonely, she makes mistakes, she's insecure, she's worried about finding "Mr.Right" when all her friends already got married. In other words, the typical Thai office girl you can see on the streets in every day's life.

In fact, during the first 15-20 minutes of the movie, I was thinking "Gosh, this is like, the Thai Bridget Jones!!!"


The movie is filled with many gags that can easily make the audience giggle along. It also captures Bangkok lifestyle in every single inch - the traffic scenes, the relationships between Ly and her family, especially her parents, the crowded public transportation during rush hours, the "sarcasm" on Thai soap operas, the "water fight war" Songkran festival, etc. There are a lot of beautiful night scenes of Bangkok, which left me a little taken aback that Bangkok is a beautiful city! Personally, the view to the Chao Praya river on Lung's porch is one of the scenes that particularly screams the "Thainess"


There are also scenes that are able to warm your heart such as the present scene. Honestly, isn't it every girls fantasy to receive such gift from her boyfriend? Those gifts are way too cute to be true! Some quotes about love and life can leave a shed of tears. I actually did hear some people sniff during some certain scenes.

I only wish P'Ken would be willing to sacrifice himself by dancing around shamelessly like Hugh Grant dancing in "Jump, for my love" in Love Actually movie, though!

All in all, what's not to like about the movie? It represents Bangkok life. It's cute. It's funny. It's bittersweet. It gives you everything that a good romantic comedy can offer.

And it's a Thai movie from Thai director for Thai people (No need to read the subtitles! hehe). Nice job. Keep up the good work!

So if Bridget Jones represents London girls, Becky Bloomwood in Shopaholic the movie represents New York ladies, I'm glad that finally we Thais have Miss Ly to represent Bangkok chicks on the film screen.

1 comment:

nita said...

love this muvie a lot, i watched it twice, hihi, very funnnnyyyy. BTS is available at Indonesian theathre this year 2010.i never watched thai movie before, bcuz most of them are horror (which is the muvie theme that i dont like). ur writing represents what i feel about the movie