Sunday, October 25, 2009

Oh boy

Got an e-mail from my Japanese host family. Glad to know that Mayu-chan could pass the entrance examination to Kansai Gaidai University. One part of the E-mail from Hitomi-san, her aunt, went like this

合格した大学は共学なので 6年間女子校に行ってたし
似やわへんなっていうてます!
大学で彼氏をゲットするそうです!

Basically it means after her niece spending 6 years in girls' school, there will be a chance to finally get a boyfriend in the university!

It's amazing to me how many Japanese who I know seem to connect the idea of college girls to finding boyfriends AND finding MORE boyfriends. They all look disappointing mixed with pitying and (sort of) shocking when I say I'm single.

Ugh. Why? I'm totally fine with it. Why do they have to place such a HEAVY focus on girls catching boys?

For example, when I went to visit my host brother, he noticed that I've changed my make-up style (I was really shocked. How could a guy notice a thing like THAT? But he's Japanese after all...) Then he guessed that the cause of the change must be because I've already got a boyfriend!

Which is WRONG. If I feel like a change, can't it be a change for ME? For myself? What does it have to be all about guys, guys, guys, and guys?

Honestly, I'm not kidding when I say I'm single and not bitter about it. I have goals that I wish to accomplish in the near future and getting a boyfriend or getting married is not included in any of them. I don't plan to include those in my goals, either, because it's stupid to get my hopes up and desperately try to find a guy, when it's really much easier to set expectations on myself. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, I have MY life to live on.

I'm also grateful that my parents have never planted the idea of having to get a boyfriend ASAP into my head. EVER.

2 comments:

k said...

i had a friend who went to kansai gaidai. for me, it's all about great grandchildren and grandchildren... ^^

Ammii said...

Yeah! because you're not the normal girl as same as the other girl in this world lol
You may wonder what am I talking about 555 I believe that many girls in this world are not thinking much about what are they doing for the future as you think. I'm not sure that they will love themselves as much as you do or not.

But you know what, this is the funny story, my dad told me to find a boyfriend before I graduate and then get married!!! OMG! I wanna cry T^T Sometime I felt like, I'm older and older in every day of my life and... I still can't find any good people, I mean good couple. What will I do when I am getting 30 years old and still single? I think I can stay with myself. I can work for treating my family and myself. but... when time passed, can I stay it alone? I think my sister will have their own family sure (from my sense na 555) but how about my future? 555+ do you wanna stay with me mai if I'm single and you're single aa' 555555 Just Kidding na'