Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ser feliz es todo mi plan!

I'm currently listening to Nelly Furtado's first full-length Spanish album "Mi Plan" and loving it. Now I really wish I could understand Spanish! It sounds sooo sexy to my ears.

There's an interview with Nelly Furtado that she talked about singing in different languages.

"When I express myself in Spanish or in Portuguese I feel very free. There are a lot of things you can say in a Spanish song that you can't say in an English song, especially from a feminine perspective. As a female, the moment you sing too passionately in English you are kind of labeled as an angry singer. In Spanish that doesn't happen. You can be dramatic as you want and it's accepted. So it's liberating."

I totally agree. My native language is Thai and I've been speaking it all my life. It's the language I'm most familiar with and am able to express my thoughts and opinions well. But sometimes I feel it's better to express my feelings in English, especially when showing a lot of emotions and complaining about something!

My friend commented me once that I look like a different person when I speak English. He said I look really sweet and polite when speaking in Thai and Japanese. In English, I'm not! It's funny. I'd say all of those are a part of me, but it could be because I'm automatically adjusting to the culture and language I'm speaking at the moment.

It has always been my dream to be multilingual. I wish I could speak more than 3, but first I'll have to work on my Japanese skills a lot more!

No comments: